Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    FAO warns Hormuz closure threatens global food systems

    May 21, 2026

    UNCTAD sees global growth slowing to 2.6% in 2026

    May 21, 2026

    WHO reports nearly 600 suspected Ebola cases in DRC

    May 21, 2026
    • Home
    • Contact Us
    Bradford PioneerBradford Pioneer
    • Automotive
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Health
    • Lifestyle
    • Luxury
    • News
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Travel
    Bradford PioneerBradford Pioneer
    Home » WHO reports nearly 600 suspected Ebola cases in DRC
    Health

    WHO reports nearly 600 suspected Ebola cases in DRC

    May 21, 2026
    Facebook WhatsApp Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Telegram Tumblr Email Reddit VKontakte

    GENEVA, SWITZERLAND / EuroWire / — The World Health Organization said the Ebola outbreak linked to the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda has grown sharply, with nearly 600 suspected cases and 139 suspected deaths under investigation, while confirmed infections remain lower than the wider suspected caseload. WHO said 51 cases had been confirmed in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, mainly in Ituri and North Kivu, and two cases had been confirmed in Uganda’s capital, Kampala, including one death.

    WHO reports nearly 600 suspected Ebola cases in DRC
    Public health officials monitor Bundibugyo Ebola transmission in eastern DRC and Uganda.

    The outbreak has been caused by Bundibugyo virus disease, a form of Ebola for which there is no approved vaccine or licensed treatment specific to the strain. WHO has classified the event as a public health emergency of international concern, citing confirmed cross-border spread and case reports in urban areas. The agency said the risk is high at national and regional levels, while the global risk remains low.

    The Democratic Republic of the Congo confirmed the outbreak in Ituri Province in mid-May after laboratory analysis identified Bundibugyo virus in samples from suspected cases. Health authorities had reported clusters of severe illness and deaths in several health zones, including Bunia, Rwampara and Mongbwalu. Uganda later confirmed infections among people who had traveled from the Democratic Republic of the Congo, extending the outbreak beyond the original affected area.

    Confirmed cases remain below suspected toll

    WHO officials said the suspected figures are separate from confirmed infections and include people whose illnesses or deaths are still being investigated. The distinction is significant because the headline numbers reflect the scale of surveillance and suspected transmission, not laboratory confirmation of every case. The agency said the outbreak appears to have circulated before detection, which has complicated tracing, testing and response work across affected communities.

    The outbreak is unfolding in eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo, where conflict, population displacement and pressure on health services have complicated previous disease responses. Medical teams are working to identify chains of transmission, isolate suspected cases, support testing and strengthen infection prevention in health facilities. WHO has said urban cases, cross-border movement and delayed detection are among the factors requiring close coordination between national and international responders.

    Response focuses on surveillance and care

    International health agencies and medical organizations have moved to support Congolese and Ugandan authorities with surveillance, case management, protective equipment and community-level response measures. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued a health alert for clinicians and public health departments, noting the confirmed outbreak in Ituri Province and advising attention to travel history, symptoms and infection control procedures for possible cases.

    Ebola is a severe viral illness that can cause fever, weakness, vomiting, diarrhea and bleeding in some patients, with transmission occurring through direct contact with bodily fluids of infected people or contaminated materials. The current outbreak differs from outbreaks caused by Zaire ebolavirus, the strain for which existing vaccines have been deployed in past responses. Health authorities have urged rapid reporting of suspected illness, safe care practices and coordinated testing as investigations continue.

    Related Posts

    FAO warns Hormuz closure threatens global food systems

    May 21, 2026

    UNCTAD sees global growth slowing to 2.6% in 2026

    May 21, 2026

    EU commits €74 million to CEPI for epidemic readiness

    May 20, 2026

    EU fertiliser plan aims to secure supply and aid farmers

    May 20, 2026

    Russia inflation slows to 5.58 percent in April

    May 18, 2026

    Ebola outbreak in Congo and Uganda draws WHO PHEIC

    May 18, 2026
    Latest News

    FAO warns Hormuz closure threatens global food systems

    May 21, 2026

    UNCTAD sees global growth slowing to 2.6% in 2026

    May 21, 2026

    WHO reports nearly 600 suspected Ebola cases in DRC

    May 21, 2026

    EU commits €74 million to CEPI for epidemic readiness

    May 20, 2026

    EU fertiliser plan aims to secure supply and aid farmers

    May 20, 2026

    Russia inflation slows to 5.58 percent in April

    May 18, 2026

    Ebola outbreak in Congo and Uganda draws WHO PHEIC

    May 18, 2026

    Porsche reveals bespoke 911 GT3 RS in Macadamiametallic

    May 16, 2026
    © 2024 Bradford Pioneer | All Rights Reserved
    • Home
    • Contact Us

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.